Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Down Days

For a variety of reasons, this idyll has seemed slightly less than idyllic the last couple days. The reasons have nothing to do with spending a national holiday without my sweetie-pie; we’ve actually celebrated Independence Day independently 3 of our 5 times so far. Rather, one of the big reasons is the aforementioned growth on Shadow’s face. It’s safe to say by now, I believe, that this is one of the countless non-life-threatening ailments a horse may contract. But it stressed me out, and today, when I had to actually load her into the trailer and haul her into Potlatch to the vet, I was stressed all the more. Yes, the vet could’ve come here, but it would have cost a lot in time (for her, who could less well afford it) and money. And, besides, I intend to have horses someday, and I intend to haul them places, and I’m fairly confident in my driving skills, and, of all the horses I know or have ever known, Shadow is about the best one I can think of for a first-time haul. She’s happy to go into the trailer, and she’s steady on her feet so she’s unlikely to fall all over if I take a turn too fast (I, and I’m sure the cars lined up behind me, don’t think I did that). Anyway, it’s likely she just has some mondo sliver or something and it’ll get all soft and then be ready for lancing. I won’t get more graphic than that.

PS—I should note that even down days have their ups. Yesterday I very successfully found a new loop, and returned home in plenty of time to shower before the festivities. I felt quite proud.


No comments: