Sunday, July 03, 2005

The Drawbacks of Housesitting Alone

  1. cleaning up after visiting animals
    1. Olivia’s stash of kills in the loft. Avian and rodentian. Writhing with new life.
    2. Dog diarrhea on a shag rug.
  2. sole responsibility for animal medical emergencies
    1. Shadow’s weird, lemon-sized, overnight growth on her right jaw-bone. Like Spackle, nothing seems to put her off her food. It doesn’t feel hot, it’s hard-ish but not rock solid, and yes, I called the emergency vet. If it doesn’t get worse, I’ll take her in on Tuesday (of course, Shadow, you would develop this ugly thing on a holiday weekend). I am very glad that:
      1. Mr. Host gave me a refresher course in towing a trailer including driving on the highway and
      2. there’s very little traffic.

One of the drawbacks is that I have to deal with these unpleasant things alone, of course, but the bigger drawback is that fact that no one is around to be impressed with my fortitude.

2 comments:

Erik said...

remind me not to read your blog during lunch.

Anonymous said...

I'm always impressed with your fortitude, whether I am with you or not.
Laura