Monday, January 12, 2009

It Happens to the Best of Us

Well, our first day of real sun and I seem to have burned myself. I was warned that I might be more sun-sensitive because of some of the drugs that I'm on, which I believed a little, but I was on them last summer and wasn't sun-sensitive at all. In Seattle.

Anyway, what sucks about this is that it's clear from the burn pattern (which is red but doesn't hurt at all at this time) that I didn't actually burn while I was lying out (on the beach for a while, and by the pool for awhile), but rather while I was walking around, with Ian, wearing my bathing suit under a long-sleeved, light-weight cotton button-down shirt. I've never burned through clothes before, and was pretty sceptical about the probability. I guess now I'm not.

I will say this: I am not, as you might imagine, upset about burning through my shirt because I am now burned and it's bad for my skin; instead, I am upset about burning through my shirt because I am now burned and I have white strap marks going around my neck. I'm very careful, when actually sunning, to minimize lines. All to no avail, alas, for now.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Having suffered many an awful sunburn in my life, some through clothing, I am glad to see you consider yourself the Best of Us.