Friday, January 09, 2009

A Welcome Vacation

We're leaving tomorrow morning at 8:00am for a week-long vacation in Hawaii with Ian's family, including his parents D&J Taylor, and his brother and sister-in-law, N&K Taylor. Ian and I were talking yesterday about how long it's been since we've had a real vacation, namely, since the summer of 2007. Granted, for me, that was a four-month vacation, which was pretty darn great, and seemed to tide me through up till now. For Ian, however, since he was working on his dissertation for at least two hours virtually every morning, it was a working holiday.

I recognize that a logical conversation about my life could go something like this:

Me: "Wow, I really need a vacation!"

Absolutely Anyone Else: "Seriously? From what?"

But, folks, that's why this blog is called "The Dilettante Traveler", and not the "I've Worked 60-Hour Weeks for the Past 130 And I Could Really Use A Vacation so I'm Going to Hawaii Traveler."

And the fact is, my full-time job right now is cancer recovery, and I even get to take a bit of a break from that. I'll get to skip an infusion while I'm away, without having to make it up. So next Thursday, when it's warm and sunny and I'm starting to feel pretty great again, I'll get to extend that into next Friday, when it'll still be warm and sunny and I'll be feeling even more great! I'm very much looking forward to that.

And so, Aloha everyone, until we get there.

1 comment:

joel said...

Have a wonderful time. Don't get sunburned. We will be awaiting pictures of everybody frollicking in the surf.

(Sitemeter is divulging who is lurking!)